Tuesday 25 June 2013

DEAR DIARY: THE HIGHLINE, EMPIRE STATE BUILDING, WEST VILLAGE, AND FRIENDS.


Dear Diary,

There's nothing better for homesickness than getting lost in New York City, and I've been doing a lot of that recently. I took the subway downtown, window shopped on Bleeker Street, and got a little lost in West Village, but when you're in a vibrant, bustling, colourful part of the city, who cares. After a little aimless wandering I found Bedford Street and, ta-da, the building that was used in FRIENDS. I squealed with excitement when I saw it, and I still can't believe that I was there.

I wandered through West Village into the Meatpacking District to the Gransevoort Street entrance to The High Line. The High Line is a public park built on an old rail line elevated above the streets on the West Side. It is an incredible public space in a concrete jungle and on a beautiful summers day there were people out, enjoying the sun, the popsicles, and the amazing scenery. It was an incredible lush green space, decorated with native plants and colourful flowers in the middle of the stark, industrial, concrete jungle. It runs from Gransevoort Street to West 30th, and even if you can't stop for a popsicle, it's still a quick way to get around midtown.

And then I went up all eighty-six floors of the Empire State Building to look out over New York City, as the sun went down and the city lit up. It was a perfect end to a great day exploring the city.

I haven't written as much as I'd like and I'm not sure why but I just haven't felt like writing. I'm scared that if I don't write a journal that I won't remember all of the amazing things I'm doing, seeing, and experiencing.

Rebecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment left here and will reply to each of them as soon as I can. Please leave a link to your blog as I'd love to check it out. I also love to tweet @rebeccabrittle .