Sunday 2 June 2013

DEAR DIARY.


Dear Diary,

Was that too cliche? Too corny? I'm going to stick with it for now. It's the second of June, the second day of winter here in Adelaide, where I'm counting down the days until I leave on my #adventure #trip #holiday. In a little over a week I'll be flying away, leaving life, family, and friends behind for the adventure of a lifetime. The adventure of my lifetime, and hopefully the first of many adventures, holidays, and trips. I've been bitten by the travel bug.

I'm incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to house sit for some relatives in New York. For as long as I can remember - and as long as I've been watching FRIENDS re-runs - I've wanted to live in New York. I can't wait to take long walks around Central Park, eat hotdogs from street vendors, and window shop on Fifth Avenue. This is a dream come true, and it feels a little surreal.

I've been busy booking flights, organizing my travel insurance, and stalking Darren Criss on Twitter, because lets face it, stalking celebrities is an essential part of any visit to NYC. I've been watching as many re-runs of FRIENDS as possible, started a list of places I want to eat, and familiarized myself with a map of the subway. But I've forgotten about saying goodbye. I've forgotten that my best friend isn't coming with me on this trip, that I'll be flying solo, and that I don't have a flight booked home. I hope I'm not lonely, and I hope I can get myself to airports and train stations on time. I've never called Adelaide home, but I realised while I was away earlier this year that it is my home, and I'm going to miss home. I'll miss the way the rain makes the news, the cranes that litter the skyline, and the bikie busker who plays the flute.

The past week has been a mixture of highs and lows, and I'm sure the next seven days will be the same. Part of me is incredibly excited and can't wait to get on the plane, and part of me is a big hot mess, because she'll miss her best friend.

Rebecca.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read more about your travels! I hope you have a great time

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment left here and will reply to each of them as soon as I can. Please leave a link to your blog as I'd love to check it out. I also love to tweet @rebeccabrittle .