Thursday 25 October 2012

PUMPKIN PIE A LA AUSTRALIA.


The coveted Pumpkin Pie is a delicacy that (until yesterday) I'd never tasted - Halloween here is relatively low key, and it's usually shrimp on the barbie and pavlova for Christmas Lunch. I'd been seeing Instragram snaps, blog posts and tweets about spice pumpkin latte's, carved pumpkins, and similarly themed pumpkin pies and after drooling all over my keyboard I thought I'd try my hand at pumpkin pie. I love the flavours, the spice and custard together, and the soft, cool texture of the pie. I'll be making this regularly over summer as it's perfect on a balmy night with a swirl of fresh cream.

Most recipes (this is the one that I used) suggest canned pumpkin puree, but I decided to use fresh pumpkin, and puree it myself. I chose to use a Queensland Blue pumpkin as they have a higher water content, are sweeter, and have a less stringy texture as normal pumpkins. To make your own pumpkin puree, peel and chop pumpkin - the smaller the pieces are, the easier (and quicker) they cook and mash - and steam for half an hour before pushing the pumpkin through a sieve using the back of a spoon. I do a couple of pieces at a time as it's easier to manage and stops the mess getting out of control. 

I love a good helping of fresh cream with any dessert but this pie is so devine I can't even be bothered to cut it, and have been eating it forkfull by forkfull straight from the pie dish.

Rebecca.

16 comments:

  1. Woooooooooooowwwwwww! Just looking at it in the photo makes me drool. :p Great choice for choosing fresh pimpkim puree instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delish, I was wondering of things I could do with pumpkins! Love the photos :)

    Lana, xo
    http://fashionfake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have a tonne of pumpkins from our garden so I find myself struggling to use them too. I'll be making this alot now.

      Delete
  4. That looks lovely! I've never eaten a pumpkin pie, but this photo has managed to get my tastebuds tingling to try it! I'm also quite jealous that for Christmas Lunch you have bbq shrimp and pavlova... literally two of my favourite foods!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do give it a try, it's really easy and tastes amazing. I'm jealous of your Christmas too - I'd much prefer snow and hot food than swealtering heat and salad.

      Delete
  5. great blog :))
    we would like to follow each other? :)

    http://allnightlong-sophie.blogspot.de/
    greetings Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, I'll show your blog some love now.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of a pumpkin pie before but it looks delicious. I'll remember this for the next time i want to hang out as a kitchen princess ;) Great blog!

    www.tlnique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you, do give it a try. Your tastebuds will not regret it.

      Delete
  7. I too have never tired Pumpkin Pie... its not a big thing here in England. But after seeing these pictures you're making me want some :D May give it a go xx

    OutsideBeautyInsideHealth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not very popular here in Australia either but you should give it a go because it's amazing.

      Delete
  8. Sure, I'll check out your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm, this is what a look forward to every autumn

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment left here and will reply to each of them as soon as I can. Please leave a link to your blog as I'd love to check it out. I also love to tweet @rebeccabrittle .